Catalogue and Internet Prescription Policy
At the Animal Health Center, it is our policy to take every possible step to ensure that our patients receive the very best pharmaceutical products available. This is especially important with life-threatening illnesses such as heartworm disease. However, we understand and empathize with the desire to find products cheaper. We know that several catalogue houses presently sell these products cheaper than we are able to. If you wish, we will gladly write prescriptions for your pet for these products in lieu of selling them here. We do, however wish for your decision to be an informed decision, and want you to know several things regarding catalogue house prescription sales:
1. All major manufacturers maintain a strict policy of sales exclusively through licensed veterinarians. All catalogue house sales are through non-approved channels.
2. Most guarantees that manufacturers make regarding their products are null and void if their products are purchased through non-approved channels. This includes the guarantee reimbursement programs for Sentinel flea control, as well as all heartworm and intestinal parasite claims.
3. Pharmaceuticals manufactured and labeled for use in other countries (namely Australia) have been illegally diverted and sold through these discount houses in the United States.
4. Discount houses have been cited by the FDA and State Boards of Pharmacy for violating prescribing procedures. PetMedExpress (a.k.a. SaveMax), in particular, has been fined over $100,000.00 by the FDA and Florida Department of Health. This particular discount house has also been sued by the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and the Texas Pharmacy Board. Florida Board of Pharmacy disciplines PetMed Express
Novartis sues Internet pharmacies for Drug Violations
PetMed sued for alleged securities violations
5. Our products come with a person to help you utilize them in the most efficient manner.
6. Shipping charges, delays, mis-shipments, and damaged products are several of the reasons that many clients feel that the hassles of dealing with the catalogue houses are not worth the savings.
7. Understand that the sales of many of our retail products help subsidize the cost of other services at the hospital.
If you prefer to purchase your products at catalogue or internet houses, we will gladly write a prescription for these products according to the following guidelines:
1. All state and federal prescribing laws apply- the same as if you purchased it here.
2. We will write one prescription per pet per year at no charge. You must pick this prescription up in person. We strongly recommend you fax this to them and retain the original yourself. If this prescription is lost or filled improperly by the catalog house, additional copies will be provided to you at a bookkeeping fee of ten dollars. (Only applies to those products prescribed on an annual basis, namely heartworm/flea prevention medication.)
3. To avoid any potential doctor-patient confidentiality issues, we will not communicate with the discount house in any form or fashion.
4. It is your responsibility to ensure that the prescription is sent, filled, labeled, shipped, and used correctly. The discount houses have a reputation for poor customer service, and we cannot be expected to take the time to oversee their operations.
5. We will not become involved in any product failure issues for products purchased through these discount houses. This includes flea, heartworm, and intestinal parasite prevention.
As an additional service to our clients, we offer mailing of your pet's prescription directly to your home from our office for a nominal fee. Just call us and ask us how!